No matter how minor, surgery can be stressful for patients and their loved ones. At Specialty Surgical Center, everything we do is designed to ensure that your surgical experience is as relaxed and comfortable as possible. Our staff will work with your physician to minimize your waiting time and provide you and your loved ones with the information you need during the recovery process.
Prior to surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything (even water, chewing gum or hard candy) after midnight prior to your surgery.
- Do not smoke or use any form of tobacco after midnight prior to your surgery.
- Notify your surgeon if there is a change in your physical condition (i.e. cold, fever, etc.)
- Please make arrangements for a responsible adult to accompany you to and from Specialty Surgical Center on the day of your procedure. This individual must remain at the facility during your procedure and stay with you for at least 24 hours after surgery. Children must have a parent or legal guardian that remains in the surgery center until the child is discharged. To provide an additional sense of comfort, you may bring the child's favorite toy or blanket.
- You will receive a pre-op call for our nursing staff before your scheduled procedure to go over any special instructions and discuss your medical history, as well as, the medications you are currently taking. You will need to bring a list of those medications with you to the surgery center on the day of your procedure. Our front office will also call you a few days prior to your procedure to provide you with your financial responsibility (co-pay/deductible).
- Please bring appropriate cases for eyeglasses, contact lenses, and hearing aids as they may not be worn during surgery.
- Obtain directions to our facility. Click here for a map of our location.
- Have all your necessary papers of files from your doctor's office sent to the facility.
- Bring all applicable insurance information and cards, as well as, photo ID to the surgery center on the day of your procedure.
The day of your surgery:
- Please arrive at least one hour prior to your scheduled surgery or the time that our pre-op nurse has instructed you to arrive.
- Bathe or shower with an antibacterial soap (such as Dial or Lever Antibacterial) prior to coming to Specialty Surgical Center.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes that are easy to get into after your surgery.
- Leave all valuables at home as we cannot be responsible for lost or damaged personal belongings.
- Remove all makeup.
- Bring a list of medications you currently take with you to the facility.
- Our staff will closely monitor your condition until you are ready to be discharged. A nurse will discuss your discharge instructions with you and your caretaker.
- Make sure you have a responsible adult available to stay with you in the 24 hours following your procedure.
- Do not drive or sign any contracts or legal documents for a minimum of 24 hours after your procedure.
- Follow all instructions when taking your prescription medications.
- Please return the patient questionaire you will be given after your procedure. Your input helps us ensure that we are doing our best!
Should you have any additional questions, please contact our staff at 949-341-3499.